Monday, December 10

Weekend Finds: Crochet Me A River.

I've been thinking I would very much like to learn how to crochet, to fill the ridiculous amount of spare time on my hands (insert maniacal laugh here). Well, I would like to learn, because if I did happen to get a spare moment, it looks like something I'd really enjoy creating. So, come on, humor me...here's what I'd make if I were as crafty-cool as Alicia Paulson of Posie Gets Cosy. You can stop snickering now...I might be able to do this...someday.



Alicia made this beautiful blanket, and her blog, Posie Gets Cosy has whole sections devoted to the art of crocheting with wonderful tips and patterns. Alicia even has some of her own patterns included in a new book, Vintage Crochet by Susan Cropper. I know a blanket of this kind of color and beauty must be set aside for the pros, but I'm thinking maybe if I start now I'll be able to whip these out in no time for my home girls at the retirement shack.


In the meantime, I'm just gonna swoon with envy at how Alicia allows her cat with claws to lounge about this thing of beauty. That's true love, cat. She loves you big time.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a gorgeous blanket! My mom know hot to crochet...perhaps I can bribe her in to making one...

Maggie Sumner said...

The blanket is beautiful. I can crochet granny square afgans, but haven't done one in years.

Lately I'm thinking of knitting a lot (like you, with all my extra free time). I wrote about it in my blog last month. My mom took me to lessons when I was about eight. I'm not super talented but can craft a nice scarf!

zee said...

What a beautiful blanket. I too am now considering some Mom-bribing.

Stephanie said...

A girl can't do everything! Sometimes it's better to sit back and appreciate...like right now!

Suzanne : : S.HOPtalk said...

Delurking to say how fun it is when one of my favorite bloggers includes a post about another one of my favorite bloggers. I've been following Posie for years and both of your blogs are daily reads for me.

I'm just getting started with the whole blogging thing...you're both such an inspiration!

I looooove that blanket. I have fond memories of crocheting slippers and scarves when I was about 10. If only I had kept up with the craft...

Anna @ D16 said...

I don't know how to crochet OR knit, and that's been a dirty secret of mine for a long time. I'm too impatient to learn!

That blanket, though... Geez. That really makes me want to learn. And I would definitely let my dog hang out on it. :)

j said...

that blanket is beautiful, but it has more to do with Alicia's incredible sense of color than the crochet stitch, which is fairly simple.

she has a way of taking simple things and making something extraordinary.

Anonymous said...

This makes me miss the weekend... and our big old tabby "Growler".

The HQ Duo said...

You can definitely learn to crochet, it is soooo simple. I'm hopeless with knitting, but somehow crocheting seemed so much easier. Maybe it has something to do with holding one "stick" as opposed to 2. You can learn only 1 or 2 techniques and then actually MAKE something right away.

My big tip is this: Don't try to learn from a book at first, find someone to show you a few basic stitches in person, make some simple granny squares or striped scarves, and worry about complicated patterns later.

I find it very relaxing to do on the bus/metro. Once a little boy was just mesmerized by me making a small granny square, so I gave him the small circle just before he got off, and he was SOOOO happy.

Jessica said...

I promise, that is not a difficult pattern. The size would be a challenge, but you could make place mats or a little lap robe to get a quick fix. And the color switching is the easiest part!

Nathalie said...

Same here ... I have been thinking about taking a crochet class for a good while but like Anna i am way too impatience, i know i would expect to knit straight away and that's not possible...

Karyn said...

I am very impatient too but found that crocheting was really pretty easy to learn. There are books that tell you step by step how to do it and then watch out because you'll spend more time than you intended doing it. A benefit of crochet over knitting is that the mistakes are easier to fix. Start with a thicker yarn and big hook and you'll be rewarded with a quick project.