Thursday, March 29

Peas. Carrots. And Corn.

When I was little, my parent's decor consisted of orange velvet club chairs, a cream colored sofa with yellow and green accent pillows, a big flagstone fireplace, a mid-century modern teak hi-fi and some oddly large, olive-stained wood grape things sitting on the pedestal base coffee table. But what I remember most were those colors: olive green, burnt orange, and goldenrod yellow. What I referred to as peas, carrots and corn. Just like the wee corner of vegetables they gave you in your favorite TV dinner aluminum tray. It cracks me up when I think of it now. Those colors are strong and present again, but with a fresh twist. Marimekko uses them a lot. But the fresh twist is evident. The twist was needed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that mug! The colours are so great and the pattern is lovely!

Found your blog the other day, and I just have to say that your blog is brilliant! Lots of really nice pictures and links, what more can one ask for?! :)

Joanna Goddard said...

omg, i totally understand about your parents' color scheme. my most vivid memory of my childhood was a burnt orange velour sofa.

Anonymous said...

Ha! We had a burnt orange velour sofa, too. :)

Anonymous said...

I've actually inherited a burnt orange velour club chair and LOVE it! I've added some cute red and white poka dot fabric over the buttons and it fits in just perfectly.

PS - Your blog is great. I am a soon-to-be SF girl and look forward to reading it daily.

sfgirlbybay said...

burnt orange seems to rule! thanks for sharing. :)

and welcome to SF, anon. you will love it.