Monday, November 19

Unexpected Guests: Camilla Engman.

I am so happy to share with you today the lovely home and studio of well-known (and most adored) Swedish artist Camilla Engman. I am a huge, and long time fan of Camilla's, so I was so excited when she agreed to have us visit. Camilla's pictures always move me, and inspire me to find time for introspection. Camilla's gentle, pastel dream-like world always leave lots of room for your own personal interpretation, regardless of whether it’s an acrylic painting, paper-on-paper or mixed media. Her home is just as peaceful and full of quiet inspiration.


Have you attended art school, or is your talent just natural?
I went to Art School for two years and later at the School of Design and Craft for five years, Gothenburg University, where I acquired a Master of Fine Arts degree.


What are you most proud of?
Nothing really.



What is your favorite film?
Maybe I'm strange, but I can't say I have any favorite film, book, food or artist. It varies a lot. It depends on what I'm into right now, what happens around me, my mood, my age and so on. We have a film festival here in Gothenburg every year, where they show movies from all around the world. I like that a lot. I always try to see films from South America, Australia, New Zealand and Iceland. It is always a great experience.


What's your favorite food?
I like all food, almost. I'm not kidding, I do. I like some food more than others of course. Cheese, different kinds of cheese, and bread. Italian food is a favorite. Simple and tasty.


Who is your favorite artist?
I have some Swedish artists that I like a lot, and have done so for a while now. Karin Mamma Andersson, Jockum Nordström, Karin Wikström and Nina Bondeson.


If you could photograph anyone in the world, who might that be?
I would be happy to photograph, to be able to actually make a good portrait, of anyone.


Who would you like to sit down to tea with?
Why not you, that would have been nice. To answer these questions in person.

Do you have a guilty pleasure?
I've had this question before and I answered - no guilty pleasures, just pleasures. I don't feel guilty for my pleasures, I live for them :)

What is your most treasured belonging?
What would I bring if a fire started?... my computer. My photographs. Softies from around the world.... I don't know.


What do you despise?
Lies.


What's your favorite word?
Lust



I have asked Camilla lots of nosy, personal questions, but I'm sure you're still curious. You can read more about her on Camilla's lovely blog. Thank you so much for sharing yourself and your beautiful home and studio with us, Camilla. And, I'd love to sit down to tea with you any day!

15 comments:

design*sponge said...

this is so fun, victoria! i love the questions :)

grace

Anonymous said...

beautiful photos, but that was boring. we didn't learn much about camilla at all.

Leah said...

Her space looks so incredibly lovely.

Thanks for sharing!

Leah

perfect bound said...

i love these photos. Simple and tasty indeed.

Pieter said...

"Do you have a guilty pleasure?
I've had this question before and I answered - no guilty pleasures, just pleasures. I don't feel guilty for my pleasures, I live for them :)"
Fabulous answer! I'm postng it on my facebook profile under quotes!

Well done Victoria, you're blog is like a good red wine that just gets better with time! I've really enjoyed your past few posts!

Maggie Sumner said...

I love her responses to your questions. It inspires me to try and be more authentically myself.

The photos were also a lovely addition to the piece. So enjoyable.

sfgirlbybay said...

i'm so glad you enjoyed the post. i think camilla is very real and inspiring. i loved her replies to the questions. especially the 'guilty pleasures' question. i think we americans are guilty too much (although, sometimes not enough at least as politicians go!).

anon - i'm sorry you found the post boring, but i must disagree. did you review the links of her favorite artists? also, sometimes what is not said, is more revealing than what is spoken. i think it speaks volumes that camilla said she is proud of 'nothing really', and shows an artist who is true to herself and whose work is uninterrupted or affected by public opinion. so rare and so lovely. maybe check again?

Claire said...

oh what a treat! I've been reading Camilla's blog for ages and lusted after her work for so long...unlike anon I really feel I got a true glimpse of how her world is...thanks victoria!xx

Anna said...

great post, victoria -- thank you for this!

love camilla's art and the glimpses we get of her world (morran!) and it was great to learn a bit more about her. especially loved her answers to favorite word and her thoughts on 'pleasure.'

Hello Cupcake said...

i think i have seen her photos on flickr

Anonymous said...

ah, i love seeing into artists' homes!! especially artists i love as much as camilla. i have to agree with the anonymous poster, however.. her answers seemed a little less than warm. i found them a bit boring, too. she seemed a little short.

Anonymous said...

I like the interview. It's much like her blog, short. The essence. Love it :) Thanks Victoria.

Anonymous said...

I've been loving her work and the decoration of her house for a long time. She has such a subtle and creative style, everything she makes and designs just seems exactly right. Even the more 'messy' parts look nice. She just seems to have a natural born sense of style, that I really love!
And like the questions and answers!

Anonymous said...

this home and these photos are (to my eye) so much more inspiring than the 5 finalists in Domino. Those spaces were very lovely, but a little overdone & overstyled for my taste. These pix show an artful sensibility that appreciates the beautiful, spontaneous arrangments found in everyday life. Thank you for encouraging artists & crafts people to share their spaces with us.
-Lori

Anonymous said...

Life is simple and only an artist or the ones with open minds can reach it!. Perfect!