Thursday, January 3

Subliminal Save.

You can consider this a little sit down chat - my version of the birds and the bees of where I sometimes get an idea . Today's discussion: where inspiration comes from. I really loved Anna Spiro's colorful living room sofas and gorgeous floral pillows (above left) when I saw them in Real Living Magazine. And I pulled scrap on this other mustard yellow sofa (above right) from somewhere (anyone know where?) and just had it laying low in my flickr files. So when I wanted something cozy in front of the fireplace this winter, I thought bringing in some color in the way of a little love seat could do the trick. These two photos helped me get here:


I think, when you do pull ideas and keep them either in some crazy piles to look through later, or organize them in binders or journals, you're already committing them to memory for when you may need them later, without even being aware of it. A subliminal save, so to speak. So next time you're going through your favorite magazines, or perusing a favorite site, and see something inspiring - save it. Take a screen grab, bookmark it, rip it from the page, make a color xerox of it. Even if you lose it, I'll bet it will find its way to the forefront of your memory banks one way or another and you'll find it useful again one day.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Would you mind sharing where the pillow came from?

sfgirlbybay said...

Thank you Anon! The pillow is from Nest on Fillmore Street, San Francisco. I don't believe they currently have an online shop, but you could call and inquire about the pillow.

Maggie Sumner said...

I'm totally with you on the subliminal save. I think it happens to me all the time in lots of creative ways--decorating, writing, having a great conversation. It all gets catalogued in the ole brain, like it or not.

I love your new love seat area, btw and really enjoyed your profile of Scott Y!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you.

I love going through magazines and websites and definitely flickr to get inspiration.
When I am ready to re-do an area it helps so much, I vaguely remember what a picture looks like and go find it to help my decorating.

Your area looks fantastic. You are definitely one of my sources of inspiration. I love seeing your photos on flickr and reading your blog.
I am in love with a pillow you have in photos of your couch and bed and have been searching for something similar to add into one of my rooms!

Natalie said...

i have a serious addiction to interior design magazines and tear out sheets of rooms and objects i love and save them in clear plastic sheets organized in 3 ring binders...everyone makes fun of me, but i always have inspiration on hand!

Chelsea said...

I love this! I too was inspired by those pillows. I made a bunch of mix and match ones just for a party. Yours looks so great!

Anonymous said...

I've got a comlete addition too to interior design pics! One of my tricks is to save copies of any pics online I find inspiring, and then I have them come up in rotation as a screen saver on my computer.
So if I'm having a blank moment on the computer, suddenly inspiration appears. Although sometimes I just end up sitting there looking at the pics instead of working!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

It helps me to keep a folder on my desktop dedicated to inspirational images from blogs/websites...like yours of course!

Anonymous said...

I save pictures too! I have three books filled with magazine pics that I have glued in and look through them often for inspiration.

annechovie said...

Happy New Year, Victoria! I absolutely relate to your picture/idea gathering. I love to do the same thing and even use photos as subject matter for my paintings. I love your pink pillow - it's a beautiful contrast and compliment to your new sofa.

day at a glance said...

i just love your little couch! nice find!

Anonymous said...

I just saw an incredible show at the Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art where Vik Muniz made incredible renderings from memory of famous photographs from a special edition of Life magazine he'd lost but not forgotten.

He'd bought the magazine when he first arrived in the US from Brazil, and carried it for a long time before losing it. The images, all some of the most famous pictures in media, were instantly recognizable to the gallery viewer.


http://www.artdaily.com/indexv5.asp?int_sec=11&int_new=21911