Thursday, September 25

The Brainiac in Portland.

One of my favorite artists, Matte Stephens, has recently moved from Alabama to Portland, Oregon. And the relocation to Portland is quite apparent in Matte's new artwork, as indicated in New Weather Vivienne and Vivienne on Her Bike, which both depict her with an umbrella, no doubt shielding her pretty little head from Portland's notorious rainy days (Vivienne is Matte's wife, and muse, if you were not previously aware).


I also love some of Matte's other new work, including Log, Family Vacation and Krasner Kitty. You can find out more about mid-century Matte on his blog, The Brainiac Art of Matte Stephens, and shop for his fabulous work in his etsy shop. I'm so glad to see the rain hasn't dampened Matte's artistic and prolific spirit!




12 comments:

MELI. said...

vivienne on her bike print is beyond cute! I love the bicycle!!!!! <3

matte stephens said...

We really love it here in Portland!! Its such a great place! Thanks so much for posting about my work!

genuinelygreen said...

I adore Matte's work, and bought some for my son's bedroom last year. And WHAT is it about Portland? I can't count the number of cool artists, etsians and bloggers I know from Portland. Something must be in the rain there.

matte stephens said...

I think its just the North West in general. Its so relaxed and neat and the scenery is just unbelievable. The arts community is really great also. We moved here because we wanted to get away from the hot summers in Birmingham :)

sarahelizabeth said...

What a great artist!!

San Smith said...

eee - the illustrations with the bicycles are adorable!

mayaluna said...

I'm a big fan of both Matt and his muse, Vivienne...love that one on the bike!

matte stephens said...

Thank you very much for the nice comments!

ST said...

I love these! So fun!!

SAMIMI-EXTREMIE said...

i really love his work! i lived in portland and cant totally feel his art! thanks for sharing!

vivienne strauss said...

its fun being a "muse" and we do love it in Portland, wait, I think Krasner wants to say hello, too :) she is happy to see that she is portrayed in paint.

Margie Oomen said...

matte was one of the first artists I discovered on etsy and is still one of my all time favorites. I see a world filled with bear monsters, krasner kitties, birds with fantastic conversation bubbles and bubbling blowing foxes. I am still waiting for him to paint that sea lion though :)