Tuesday, October 28

GUEST BLOGGER: Andrea from Hula Seventy

Hello friends. Andrea here again. Today, I'd like to share Susan and Barry's home with you. Initially, I fell in love with the fantastic earrings Susan makes and her brilliant original intent series. Then, about a year ago, she and her husband Barry moved from New York to my neck of the woods (Portland, Oregon) and we became real life friends. Not just internet friends but real-life-hey-let's-meet-for-coffee sort of friends. While I am still a big fan of the earrings, it's her home that has my heart. Although-- I do like you for more than your apartment and the earrings you make, Susan. Just for the record.


What I love about Susan's place has more to do with personality and less to do with following any sort of rules. I love the clean lines of the pieces you find in every room, I love the small collections peppered throughout and most of all, I love her use of the color red.



Bits of red here and there and just enough.





Actually, I could spend a lot of time at Susan and Barry's place. Just looking at all the collections, noticing thoughtful details.





This window looks out onto one of my favorite Portland streets. Though a bedroom like this is enough to make a person want to stay inside. All day long.



I assumed that the great old black telephone was just another interesting piece they'd picked up somewhere along the way but Susan insists that it is original to the building. How rad is that? Very.



The sweetest of dining areas.



The sweetest of details.

And the heartiest of thanks to Susan and Barry for allowing me to take over their home for the morning. Such a treat, such a treat.

13 comments:

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

what a gorgeous home, love the dining area!

Anna @ D16 said...

I love Susan's home! It's so nice to see some new photos of it, thank you. :)

devinemom said...

what a wonderful space. I would love to know who designed the black rocker seen in the image with the wall phone...

great since of design.

Orange Pattern said...

The wall with the little shelf is amazing. I want to jump into that photo and look around. Maybe stay awhile. Thanks for the post...

Anonymous said...

Great post about Susan's abode. She is a lovely & talented person. Your phrase of thoughtful details describes Susan's work- jewelry & photographs as well as her fabulous home.

shari said...

so nice to see susan's home. it's beautiful.

Mrs.French said...

ms. andrea...I love you, this post, your blog and the fact that we share the same friends...I have yet to visit susan't apartment, but I am now thinking I need to, with camera in hand...xo

Barry O'Connor said...

Devinemom,

The rocker is by Kofod larsen (I believe) for Selig of Denmark (I am certain). Thanks all for the compliments on our home, and thanks to Andrea for the generous post.

-Barry

Miss Atomic said...

Hi Andrea ~

I just popped over from your blog and wanted to say,"well done"! This is a good, good piece. May we assume you were the photographer as well? Bravo.

asphalt and air said...

what a lovely home tour.
and to think that i lived in the same city as Susan and never managed to take a peek myself.
what a shame!
her sense of style is impeccable!

meridith said...

such a lovely post and home! i would love to know who did the poster/artwork in the first shot

Anonymous said...

Ack!
I LOVE her house!
I am so glad she let you share it with the world. Susan is awesome, and the bomb. Yup-she is rad! Thanks, Andrea!!

maritza said...

Susan's home is fabulous! I love these photos and her space so much. And Susan is so talented and such a lovely person.