Monday, February 2

Unexpected Guests: Delaks.

We're headed 'down under' today and saying g'day to Danielle De Silva, aka blogger of Delaks, a crafter, designer and homemaker in Sydney, Australia. Danielle is a graphic and web designer, offering a full range of quality graphic and web design services, as well as custom-made stationery and invitations. The home she shares with her husband, and dog Morty, is so lovely - bright and fresh, with clean lines and clutter free. It feels so peaceful and airy to me, and awash with Sydney sunshine. I am really excited to share her home, and thoughtful interview with you. Thank you so much, Danielle, for allowing us a glimpse into your beautiful home, and life in Australia. For more of Danielle, check out her flickr photostream, her blog, Delaks, or her graphic design business site.


What neighborhood in Sydney do you live in?
We live in Glebe, an inner city suburb of Sydney.



What is your idea of a perfect day in your city?
A walk with our dog Mortimer around Glebe Point, brekky and a chai latte at my favourite café Naggy’s, yum cha at the Fish Markets, a visit to the Museum of Contemporary Art, a ferry trip to the zoo, cocktails at Zeta Bar or Ivy in the evening.


What don't you leave home without?
Wallet, phone, keys. With those three things I can pretty much get out of (or in to!) any trouble that comes my way.


What are your favorite local shops?
Almost everything in the MCA Store makes me squeal with delight. I also like That Vintage Shop in Enmore, Matt Blatt in Marrickville, Rozelle and Glebe Markets, Ariel Booksellers in the Rocks and Gleebooks.




What's on your wish list?
A Saarinen Tulip side table in marble and a big white leather ottoman for the lounge room. A comfy outdoor lounge for the back deck.



What is your biggest interior design nightmare?
Any apartment/house that is south facing – down here in the southern hemisphere that means it gets no sun, so its dark and cold.


Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Such a tricky question, there are so many that I love! Here’s a random assortment of favourites: When I was younger, my favourite designer was Justin Fox, he was a big influence in my early teenage angst-ridden design. More recently, I totally dig Banksy – so, so clever. I like Amy Ruppel and Camilla Engman and Matte Stephens for their unique styles. I also really dig Bob Shea’s childrens books/illustrations. And I like Lisa of Good on Paper and Joy of Oh Joy! for their elegant designs.


Where do you find inspiration?
In the strangest places – my Google Reader, in great packaging, random typography, people and places around me. I read Real Living and Home Beautiful magazines every month, they both have such great ideas and projects. I also like to check out Flickr when I’m stuck for inspiration either on the home front or in my design work, there are so many amazing images and ideas in there to kick start the creative mind.



Who do you admire and why?
As I have just made the leap from cubicle worker to full time freelance designer, I admire successful, creative ladies who are out there doing what they love – people like Nicole from Making it Lovely, Holly from Decor8, and of course Victoria from sfgirlbybay!

Do you collect anything?
I collect postcards. There are free postcards all over the city, I have been collecting them since I was about 14. My favourite ones are displayed on a ribbon over my desk and a few are framed in the study/sunroom.

What's your favorite feature in your home?
I love the deep skirting boards and the floorboards in the original part of the house – houses just aren’t made with that kind of detail anymore. I also love the front door step, its worn in the middle from over 100 years of being stepped on, so it lets the light peek in underneath.


Who would you like to sit down to drinks with?
It’s a cliché I know, but it would be great to sit down with Barack Obama and a nice bottle of wine. He’s got some big ideas and I would love to hear all about them.

Do you have a guilty pleasure?
Reality TV – if it involves a home/person/garden makeover, I’m hooked.


What is your most treasured belonging?
Hmm, I have lots of things that I love and treasure, but I guess your most treasured belongings as the things you would grab if your house was on fire – which would be my husband (not a belonging but still a treasure), Mortimer the dog and our wedding photos.



What's souvenir did you bring back from your last trip?
A tiny photograph of the Eiffel Tower from a street market in Paris, and a beautiful leather overnight bag from Sri Lanka. As we were buying the bag, a huge herd of elephants from the nearby elephant orphanage walked right by the shop – such a surreal and wonderful experience.


If you could be any other nationality, which would it be?
My husband is Sri Lankan, and they are a very intelligent, humble and kind people, so I think that would be a great one to try out.

What is your greatest indulgence?
At the moment because it’s such a scorching summer in Australia I must admit I have been indulging in daily ice cream spiders.


What is your idea of living hell?
As a particularly fair skinned person in an especially hot country - sunburn!


What are some of your favorites websites/blogs to visit?
Sfgirlbybay of course, I love everything about your style Victoria! I have also been a long time reader of Apartment Therapy - everything I could possibly need to know about modern living is on that blog. Making it Lovely is another fave, Nicole is living my dream life as a great designer with a beautiful home. Desire to Inspire is my daily pit stop to top up my ‘style inspiration’ folder. I really enjoy Decor8 for her thoughtful posts and great style. Chez Larsson for Benita’s amazing organisational skills (and stamina!). I love to see Anna’s amazing and patient restoration of her home on Door Sixteen. And The Book Design Review is always interesting for great thoughts on design and typography.

15 comments:

MS said...

I love her home. Great pics!

Anonymous said...

Simply lovely. I felt calmer just looking at the pictures.

Carlene said...

Such a beautiful home, gorgeous photos, and a great interview. Very inspiring. Also, cutest puppy!! *smooch* to the puppy. Great post!

Newburgh Restoration said...

You guys are the cutest couple! You will have the cutest babies! And love your house, I want to go visit my friends in Australia now.

Inklore said...

such a light and lovely space. love the loft bedroom.

annechovie said...

What a beautiful home Danielle has!Thanks for sharing her style with us, Victoria. I can't wait to visit her blog. Have a terrific week!

mrs boo radley said...

Love the floors. Oh my. And the whites and blues...so serene.

And the story about the elephant herd--fabulous!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, warm home. Thank you for the shout out too. How nice.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely home :)

shanon said...

I love her home, it's so cozy yet airy at the same time. It's refreshing. And I want that bedroom up the stairs. That's dreamy to me.

Kimberly said...

Damn, I thought your title said Daleks, and got all excited. Regardless, that place is beautiful. I love the hardwood floors, and the breezy flow...

Anonymous said...

I recently discovered her blog and Flickr pictures. She is just lovely and her home is gorgeous. Thank you for featuring her, she deserves others to know about her fantastic style.

kbd said...

What a beautiful home... laid back and lovely. The light reminds me of the light in South Africa! Amazing how we can all be spread out over the world but enjoy the same things, the same inspirations, the same blogs. Thanks for this one, Victoria.

Jamie Welsh Watson said...

Damn, her house rocks! I love the sunlight and the floors, the sense of calm and peaceful design, the brightness...sigh!

Danielle said...

Thanks again for featuring us Victoria, and thanks everyone for your lovely comments :)

Carlene - Morty sends one of his signature big, sloppy, licky *smooches* back to you!

Mrs Boo Radley - The elephants were absolutely awesome, Sri Lanka really is the most magical place :)

Kimberly - hehehe, no Daleks here! Google always asks me that too - type in Delaks and it asks "Did you mean Daleks?" I guess Dr Who outranks me, lol!