Tuesday, January 22

Absolutely Alabaster.

As I mentioned earlier in the week, I spent a leisurely Sunday morning having brunch and doing a little browsing in the fun shops in Hayes Valley. As promised, here's a peek into one of the shops along Hayes Street, Alabaster. I'll be featuring a few more Hayes Valley shops to come later this week, as a lot of you seem to be making San Francisco a destination in your near future and often ask me where to go while you're here. I highly recommend making this neighborhood one of your must sees.


Alabaster is one of those beautiful shops where you're almost too intimidated to enter, but I can tell you the atmosphere inside is friendly, and the prices aren't nearly as expensive as the things are beautiful. They aren't inexpensive, but they are definitely classic, collectible beauties, and of exquisite quality. Even if you're not in a spendy mood, the trip is well worth it, if just to take in all that loveliness in one little place. That has got to be good for us, right?

The display cases are nearly as beautiful as the items inside, like vintage collectibles, scented candles, jewelry, exotic insects and butterflies, silk scarves, and beautiful coffee table books.

Beautiful lighting fixtures and ornate, gilded chandeliers.

I love their vintage collection of dog figurines, some under pretty glass domes.



An entire wall, and table full, of alabaster lamps (thus, the name of the shop).





11 comments:

Hungry in LA said...

I read in the Chronicle that the owner is actually closing the store in a month since he has become the creative consultant at Gump's. What a shame to lose this place.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Oh, you had me at "pretty glass domes". I'm a sucker for anything under a glass dome...well, almost anything.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! Love everything there! The lamps are amazing!

Julia Walsh said...

I stopped in there on Sunday as well! Did you see the two dogs running around?

sfgirlbybay said...

Julia - I saw a cute dog outside, but none inside. :(

I must have missed you!

Hungry - I had not heard about the closing and there was no sign of it. I suppose that might mean a good sale, but too sad!

Uncle Beefy said...

Such a beautiful shoppe! Love all the glowing alabaster pieces on the table. This looks like a place you could be stuck in for quite some time :)

Suzanne : : S.HOPtalk said...

Thank you for the lovely sneak peack Victoria...I've been hearing about and wanting to visit this shop for years. Sounds like I better hurry up and get in there!
:-).

Anonymous said...

Yes, I also heard the store will be closing at the end of January. They also have amazing table books and fancy soaps. I imagine there will be a sale.

ink and ginger said...

Oh, I always walk by this place when I do errands in the neighborhood but I've never found an excuse to go in yet. I'll have to remember to stop by before they close.

Anonymous said...

I love San Fran and when I was there lst Dec met another artist friend and she took me all around Hayes Valley. We did some damage at a small clothing store called "Okios" or something like that...I just loved the whole area. Love your posting! Please come visit me on the East Coast!

best,
carol

Anonymous said...

I live in the neighborhood and can confirm that the story is indeed closing at the end of the month. The owner posted a big sign explaining the reasons but mostly is because the landlord did not want to renew their lease. another case of greedyness. such a shame! sad to see another wonderful, unique store go away. I will miss you Alabaster!