Wednesday, October 8

Unexpected Guests: Amy Butler.

I am so very excited to share this week's Unexpected Guest with you! One of my very favorite textile designers, Amy Butler! I've been following Amy's fun and eclectic style since her and husband David Butler's first book, Found Style, was published in 2003. Amy's bohemian chic style just speaks to me, and while putting together this interview, Amy and I found we had many things in common. From our love of flea market finds, to films, music (Boston!) and even the fabulous Eddie Izzard. I could have easily said "me, too!" countless times, but y'all would have wanted to slap me. If you've never seen Amy's other book, Midwest Modern, which shares her beautiful mid-century modern home in Granville, Ohio, you're in for a big treat today. Especially the garden, which is like a lush oasis full of exotic species, right in the middle of Ohio. So, without further ado, I bring you the fabulous home of designer Amy Butler. For more about Amy, her designs and some amazing inspiration, check out her website, Amy Butler Designs. Thanks again for having us, Amy - it's been great getting to know you!

What is your idea of a perfect day in Granville, where you live?
Getting up early on a bright crisp spring day, sip a cup of coffee, hit the bike trail, nap in the sun, share a homemade meal with friends, to bed with kitties and Dave.

How would you define your style?
Casual, warm, relaxed, eclectic and personal.

What don't you leave home without?
My iPhone.

What's your favorite local shop?
Shops for me are....Green Velvet and Foot Loose vintage clothes.

Please give me five words to describe yourself?
Silly, nurturing, positive, hard working, and OCD.

What's one thing about you that would surprise people?
I played USVBA Volleyball.

Who is your favorite artist? And why?
My husband Dave. He's an incredibly gifted artist, designer, writer and musician, and I’ve been fortunate to not only be married to him for nearly 20 years, but also to work with him every day.

Who do you admire and why?
Pema Chodron, she's an amazing teacher and is gifted at sharing love and ideas with others in a way that's approachable and warm.

What's the last great book you read?
Eat Pray Love.

What's your favorite film?
The Royal Tenenbaums.

Who would you like to sit down to tea with?
Eddie Izzard.

If you could be a different nationality, what would you be?
English.

Do you have a guilty pleasure?
Oh yes....... I love watching the Tudors on Showtime.

What would you eat for your last supper?
Potato Chips and Sour Cream and Onion Dip.

Your house is burning down, what do you grab?
My husband and my cats.

What is your most treasured belonging?
My wedding rings.

What's souvenir did you bring back from your last trip?
A 1920's turquoise and cloisonné' ring from England.

What is your greatest indulgence?
Plant shopping.

What is your idea of living hell?
Working in a cubicle taking down football stats.

What are some of your favorites websites/blogs to visit?
Sfgirlbybay, Decor8, Design*Sponge, Pandora Internet Radio, Craftzine, 2Modern, Heronswood Nursery, Kevin Reiner Design, Granville Millenery Company, Kim Mettee Designs.

What music are you listening to these days?
Neko Case, Al Green, old Kinks, English Beat, Populous, Boston, Joseph Arthur, Dave Brubeck, Iron & Wine, Rogue Wave, Corinne Bailey Rae, Badly Drawn Boy, Fruit Bats, and loads of my own mixes. My husband Dave has a band called the Black Owls and I listen to them 24/7.