Thursday, August 10

Design Challenge - Parlez Vous Francais?

I was browsing through the May/June issue of Marie Claire Maison , which is written entirely in French and also of which I understand not one iota (okay maybe Oui!). I do this often, mostly because I just love the dramatic flair and style of the European design magazines. I decided I would challenge myself to recreate one of the beautiful pages in this issue - that of a beautiful and simply elegant Moroccan themed bedroom in Jaipur that you see here. Only my challenge was do it on a budget, which I seriously doubt the actual owner of said bedroom had to ever worry her pretty little head about.

So, with my challenge complete, here are the entire contents of this room at a more economical price range (sans the lovely books - I'm sure you have an abundance of your own).

Le Gilded Gold Mirror - found on eBay for $19.00. Wow.


Dark Rattan Penang Tray Table from Pier One Imports - not exactly like the bamboo table in the photo, but still gives the right feel for $150.00.




The batik inspired print, Anna Paisley Bedspread at
Anthropologie, $160.00. This is the most expensive of all the items, but still not too pricey for the dominate piece in the room.


JC Penney Hot Pink Sheets $54.99. Love the color!











Ikea Antifoni Table Lamp, a mere $24.99.












Exotic Ikea Rynkeby Area Rug at 7-10" x 5'-7" for $149.00.








Ikea Matching Antifoni Floor Lamp, just $39.99.










And the Fota Tray Table Stand from Target just $49.99 (I would disguise the blue pattern on top with some decorative scarf or fabric).



And voila! The entire decor for about $650.00. Not too bad...oui!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sfgirlbybay,

Just wanted to say that with all the credit you give to the things and people that inspire you, YOU inspire ME.
I was born and raised in SF and my now daily habit of checking your blog makes me want to move back. It also makes me want to create and design and live beautifully... so THANK YOU. Please keep up the good work.

sfgirlbybay said...

That is so kind, and th epurpose of this blog, so thanks so much for letting me know.

Anonymous said...

You are good! I'm impressed that you already hit a lot of key points in the room from inexpensive sources. I can tell you that having lived in Paris (when I was a kid, but I go there often) the French are quite frugal and will scout around for great things that are affordable rather than go out and drop a bundle to get everything at one time. French rooms just kind of evolve over time; there is never a hurry. You are off to a great start on your re-creation of that beautiful space.

I will second Anonymous in that you make me appreciate the city of my birth more than anyone/anything else has in a long time. Checking in to this blog is always refreshing and relaxing; so glad you decided to share your great home photos with AT and introduce me to your page!

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your site today, and I absolutely LOVE IT- I have already checked it 3 times! I want to see a pic of this room you have created once its complete!

Thanks for being so exciting!

Gabby from Austin, Texas

Anonymous said...

I too am a big fan of your blog! i've been checking it out ever since i saw your beautiful apt on atsf a few weeks back. love love love it.

m.r. in austin, tx

sfgirlbybay said...

Well guys, I must say that all your encouragement inspires ME, so thank you so much. This is a blast for me.

And just FYI, I'm not going to actually re-create this room, I just thought it would be fun to see if I could do it. I may start having this 'challenge' as a regular feature on the blog. Or, maybe y'all send me a picture of a room and I'll try and re-create that one!