Wednesday, November 12

All In The Family.

When I posted some of my recently redesigned rooms this week, both here and on flickr, I couldn't help but notice how many of you seemed to have expressed interest in my little collection of oil painting portraits. So, I decided to take a gander around the web and see what portraits I might be able to share with you, and yeah, maybe even add to my little family. I added this sleepy fellow below to my collection yesterday, when I ordered him frometsy shop, Rat Pack Pack Rat.

There's all kinds of these portraits out there, but I think to get it right, you have to find gems that just capture that perfect glimpse of irony. My parents think my paintings are hideous, and think I'm quite whacked for actually hanging them on my walls, which let's me know for certain, that these portraits have captured just what I'd hoped for. They've added a wee sense of humor to my decor. I barely ever take myself too seriously, even when it comes to my home.

Charming Lady on wood signed Temple and dated 1941,
and Early American Lady portrait on canvas,
both from Paris Hotel Boutique.


Angst in Teal, and Prim in Peach,
both from etsy shop Rat Pack Pack Rat.


1930's Lady in Red and a very Prominent Physician,
also both from Paris Hotel Boutique.


1940's Wedding Portrait, and an unfinished
Francis Kughler 1940's Nude, both found on eBay.

12 comments:

Sarah Bradley said...

Oh I love the lady in red. It would provide the perfect pop!

Anonymous said...

Ever heard of The Museum of Bad Art? http://www.museumofbadart.org/
Just to bring a laugh to your day! Seeing these reminded me of it although most of them are way better!

So Lovely said...

I have a collection of oil paintings. Mostly are scenes but one is of a bouquet of flowers and its almost 4 feet high. I found it while cleaning out a friend's grandmother's basement. They are all so hideous that they're genius. The louder the better I say.

Anonymous said...

I love that people had themselves painted in their wedding clothes! I love your paintings but I love portraits (even velvet ones).

Tina Bini said...

I love your blog and your apartment is SO beautiful! Congratulations =)

Rebecca Corvese said...

The married couple look so perfect don't they? He, a little bit of Cary Grant, and she, a little Doris Day? Ahh, if life were only so....

Elissa said...

They remind me a little bit of the vintage photos my mom occasionally finds at yards sales or antique shops. She calls them "instant relatives"!

sfgirlbybay said...

i have seen a book from The Museum of Bad Art - it was awesome!

elissa - i like that "instant relatives!" :)

Boxcar Goods said...

The Fishs Eddy stores in NYC have wonderful portraits on their walls...unfortunately they don't sell them.

vivienne strauss said...

wonderful post! I love imagining their "real" lives.

Unknown said...

Haha! I should have portraits of my family done to hang up! That would be funny collection! I loe this idea, but I might need to throw in some "fake" to up the ante!
Judith~

sfgirlbybay said...

One must always 'wake the family'...that's what makes them the very most ironic!