Tuesday, November 6

Unexpected Guests: Herzensart.

Today we're visiting the home and studio of Sandra Monat, of Herzensart. Sandra is a German artist, living and working in Cologne, creating wonderful softies of wool and fabric. Originally a painter, Sandra has recently discovered the satisfying feeling of creating three dimensional, textile pieces, original characters and art toys designed and created carefully by hand with lots of love in these beautiful, happy surroundings.



Favorite color?
All natural colors.


Who is your favorite artist?
There are so many, but in general I´m more interested in female art than in male art. My favorite living female artists only to name two: Andrea Zittel and her search for new ways of living in her art. Kiki Smith in her concern amongst others with the spiritual, mythological, and magical part of our world. I like that she uses a variety of media and embraces craft as well. Dead artists I adore: artist couple Niki de Saint Phalle and Jean Tinguely, their relationship and love and a more than 30 years collaboration in art.



What's the last great book you read?
I´m actually reading Clara and Paula, dealing with the life, art and friendship of Clara Rilke Westhoff and Paula Modersohn Becker.


Who would you like to sit down to tea with?
My friend Briga who died much too young 3 years ago. There are so many things that left unspoken.


Do you have a guilty pleasure?
Red wine and consuming too much chocolate.


What is your most treasured belonging?
My creativity and the joy in making things.


What do you despise?
Falseness and small-mindedness.


What's your favorite word?
Actually, it´s "muffula" the name of a new project I have in mind.


Sandra is also featured in the book, Softies, published at Penguin books Australia, with 22 patterns for original softies, from 14 designers worldwide for you to sew, knit and crochet. You can learn much more about Sandra and her work on her blog and website, Herzensart.

10 comments:

LEE said...

beautiful inspirational pictures and interview. Thank you! I love the blue sheep!

Giovanna Borgh said...

Heyyyy
I love almost everything you post here in your blog.
And I also love your pictures...

Have you heard about the movie "Tha Jane austin Book Club"?
It´s about a group of friends that are described from the caustic point of view of Austin.
I havent´ watched it yet, But I can´t wait!

by
by

Maggie Sumner said...

I love having little insights into the lives of interesting and creative people. It inspires me to try and be more authentic myself!

This is great. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving your interviews with such creative people. I feel I can live vicariously through them.

Leigh said...

I love her house / studio. I started typing the things I liked, but it was too long and everyone can see for themselves what I was listing anyway! My mom's always on the lookout for great softies because she wants to start making some of her own, so I will have to show her these. We found some great, old, softie animal patterns at the Alameda flea market this weekend. It was great.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Fabulous post! I also love the blue sheep and wish that our house could be as awesome and...pink!

Anonymous said...

So inspirational. My boys have been very interested in softies creations. These are wonderful.
A

Anonymous said...

This woman is an inspiration and her house...oh my god.
It makes me want to set up my own studio and pick up a paintbrush again.
sigh....
I LOVE your blog, which I found by way of Natalie Walton's Daily Imprint blog, and I now check in regularly to see what fabulous things you're up to!
Claire in Sydney xx

Sandra Monat said...

Hi Victoria,
thank you for the interview :)
I wanted to leave a comment on your cool "Keep calm" poster, but the comments are obviously deactivated. So I have to say it here: they are really cool and the colors you choosed are amazing!
xo, Sandra

Anonymous said...

such a wonderful new feature on your great blog, i enjoy these interviews very much!