Thursday, September 13

Stowaways.









A lot of readers asked me where Eszter had gotten this beautiful white credenza that lives in her Studio. I wondered too and just may have to have it for the pink entryway. It's the Ikea Torsby credenza, with sliding cabinet doors and a super high polished gloss finish, which fancies things up a bit, and gives it a modern look that one would assume is expensive. It's not - just $299.







If you're looking for smaller and functional storage for an entryway, but want it to look good, too, any of the credenzas and makeshift credenzas here will work for you. And they're all fairly inexpensive from IKEA. I like this IKEA PS white filing cabinet. It's got a fun, functional look, but is sleek enough to be used in any entryway as a credenza, and I've seen lots of examples of them as dining room sideboards, too. Just $99. Great for office, bathroom and bedroom storage, as well.

IKEA's Bonde has been around a bit, but still offers a modern look with four frosted glass doors, sharing just a hint of what you've got stashed away in there. $359.



The IKEA Erik filing cabinet, has three handy drawers and conveniently rolls around on casters, can take on new life in an entryway, or dining room. I can see a set of Erik triplets side by side, making up one long cool, bright credenza with loads of storage for smaller items around the house - candles, serving pieces, napkins etc. These are just a bit funkier and full of color.
And lastly, the Liden is the piece most up to you for interpretation, but again I could see two of these (maybe even three) lining a long wall looking sleek and simple. It's solid wood, so you could paint them up a bright color, or a neutral white and create a long low place to lean your artwork and books, which is look I have always liked. These potential beauties are just $49.99 each. I'm not sure if it can be done, but these legs would also look great replaced with retro looking hairpin legs, hmmm?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

they sell unfinished pine hairpin legs at home depot in lengths varying from 3"-24" for around five or six dollars each. i don't see why they would not work on the liden console if you simply assembled the top portion and attached these to the bottom instead of the intended legs.

Anonymous said...

Victoria! I may have to try out your idea of 2-3 Liden units to line our living room wall. I'm currently working on the AT:SF Fall Cure and a media center of some kind is top priority. Thanks for this great idea!

zara said...

Just thought I'd mention that I have the Liden and I like it but it was a bit too short for my tastes as an entertainment center, I ended up putting something on top of it to get my TV up to the height I wanted.

laure said...

OMG Where is that Mirror from?! I've been combing flea markets for exaclty that mirror. please please tell me (Oh and I'm in LA, but if I need to make it up to SF I'm there).

I actually already own that credenza and get the same comments, people can't believe it's Ikea (which is why I bought it in the first place :) )

sfgirlbybay said...

katherine - thanks for the tip on the legs!

mango - thanks for letting us know,it seems like it would still make a good low credenza or bookcase and place to display artwork.

laure - i think you're going to have to hit the Rosebowl Flea Market, because eszter's is a flea market find, too.

Anonymous said...

We have the bonde credenza and love it. It took me a night to put it together though :)

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

We have the ikea PS cabinet. It reminds me a bit of a highschool gym, but I love it and think it works great for our TV. At least I can think of the gym when I'm sitting on my behind watching tv and reading blogs, right? :)

Anonymous said...

oops--i'm a ding dong. i just realized you were probably talking about the black metal legs--not the slender pine ones! i think the paint fumes from redecorating have gone to my head... sorry for the confusion!

Anonymous said...

i really love the idea of the bright green filing cabinets pushed together. better yet to have a platform cut to size, painted to match, and then mount the three together as if it really were a credenza. a couple of short, stylish chrome legs to get it up off the ground, and you're done!

bixx said...

i have the first incarnation of the ikea credenza and still love it.

Jamey said...

i love that cabinet, but at my almost non-existent budget and need for storage i think i'll have to settle for the ASPVIK by ikea for 149 and maybe glam it up with some stick on handles. but oh how i love that glossy shine of the TORSBY.

wig:
im curing with at: chicago, even though i'm in nola and storage is my MAIN priority.