Tuesday, October 30

Unexpected Guests: Marci Washington.

I've been very lucky lately to have been visiting the inspiring accommodations of some really talented artisans, crafters and designers. So I'm turning these visits - some live and in person, some via flickr, into a weekly feature, Unexpected Guests. That way, ya'll will get to pop in behind the scenes, homes and studios of the talented artists we may have a curiosity about. I always wonder what space a designer likes to work in, or even where they like to plop down with a good book, host dinner parties, or brew a pot of coffee and hang out with their partners and pets.


This week, I bring you the lovely and talented painter, Marci Washington. I met Marci briefly at the Rare Device opening the other night and was quite taken with her sweet demeanor and surprised that someone this amazingly talented was so young.

She has so much more to share with us as her story evolves. Marci says in her bio, " Currently I am interested in building a fictional narrative with connections to history as well as to the present. It's like I'm illustrating a novel that doesn't exist. If it did, it would probably be a lot like Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, or Bleak House - novels which function as social commentary as well as beautiful romantic epics. "

To see more of Marci's hauntingly beautiful work, you can visit her website here, as well as the online gallery, The Beholder. For now, we're going to take a look at how Marci lives, works and thinks. I asked her a few questions, because, well, inquiring minds usually want to know. And I thought it would be fun to be James Lipton for a little while...


Who is your favorite artist?
I don't have just one favorite, I have a long list of true loves.

What's your favorite food?
Lasagna and fried chicken, not together of course.


What is your most treasured belonging?
My grandmother's charm bracelet.

Favorite color?
Olive green.


If you could photograph anyone in the world, who might that be?
An apparition.


What do you despise?
People who are mean to animals.


What's your favorite word?
Right now it's 'craggy'.


Who would you like to sit down to tea with?
Angela Carter and Nick Cave.


What's the last great book you read?
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson.


Do you have a guilty pleasure?
Bad pop music and instant mac and cheese.

16 comments:

Christina said...

what a great feature idea. love seeing the behind the scenes and look forward to seeing more in the future!

Uncle Beefy said...

Love it! Marci's work is great (and I am glad I'm not the only one for bad pop and mac-n-cheez!). Can't wait to see more in the future :)

Anonymous said...

Yay for Unexpected Guests! Hope you're enjoying Amsterdam Victoria!

studio wellspring said...

i really like her work & i love this concept ~ you're so fabulous for giving us such a treat! thank you, thank you.

Kelly Lynn Jones said...

thanks for posting about my girl marci! xo

Michelle said...

great art! I also love her workspace :)

Christie said...

beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I loved this post, what a great idea! Have fun in Holland :)

wexfordgirl said...

I love Marci's work.

But more importantly THOSE BEAR SHOES!! I'm in love!

Anonymous said...

Great paintings and also her flat! I really like the floral sofa. These days, I am very interested in portraits. And Marci herself is beautiful lady too! :-)

Creative Archive said...

I love the way all the artwork looks grouped together. They sit very well, fun interview!

janine de waal said...

WOW WOW WOW - this is a beautiful post!!!

Thea said...

I love this idea! Wonderful questions and equally wonderful answers...I am looking forward to a weekly look inside the lives of my fellow artists, and maybe you will even want to feature my art and home someday??? :) Thank you Victoria for another great post!

Brandi said...

Kittie is adorable....

heymomo said...

Great idea for a weekly feature! It's like snooping in someone's home with permission!
And I love those shoes.

Anonymous said...

Please tell me where those shoes are from - I LOVE them!!!